Thursday, March 15, 2018

Interview # 43: Yak yak yak, why ya talking all the time!?

The title is a reference to the game, Kya: Dark Lineage, which really fits this interview.

As I'm writing this, I already know I didn't get the job, as I asked the lady to send me an email if I got it or not.

 I had applied for a position on a Sunday, and I got an email hours later requesting for an interview. The next day, I got TWO emails in an hour from them, requesting an interview, I was like geez lady, calm down.

 So this is the first time I went on an interview, and forgot my portfolio, with my resume, cover letter.. etc.. I've never forgotten it before! The funny thing is, the last 5 interviews I've been on, the interviewer didn't want to see it, so I was hoping I wouldn't need it. It worked out because she was talking about how people don't like phone calls, and everyone does emails, so I told her I would email my references when I got home. Apparently it was me vs one other person. It was mostly just her talking about the job the whole time.... She went on.... and on... and on... and she even mentioned she talks so much. It was hard to get two words in, because I felt like I was being rude, and interrupting. I just told her that I am on the shy side, but open up and she said that she expects that from everyone, because they don't know each other yet. Then I said three adjectives I would describe myself in. This was the first time, the interviewer didn't write those down.. they always write down my list of three adjectives. She was really nice, I just didn't get to say much.... She asked me salary range, I said around 14, an hour, but it's negotiable. She told me they have vacation days, 401k. She said in a week or two, but I wouldn't start until March because they're updating their systems to Sage, which I later found out was a math program. I am terrible at math, so probably a good thing I didn't get it.

 She told me she wanted to hire a guy, because one of her girls is leaving due to pregnancy, so she wants a guy because they can't get pregnant. I told her I promise I won't get pregnant. Which is rather sexist. Because she basically only hired girls before, which is sexist, and now she only wants a guy, which is also sexist! I don't mind that I didn't get the job because, I felt like the job would have been boring. But the thing is, she did most of the talking, so I don't know what I could have done differently, like other interviews gave me time to comment... but she really didn't.

 Lesson Learned: Sometimes, the interviewer talks too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment