Monday, September 10, 2012

Interview #19: Sooby dooby doo, where are you?

Interview 19 was one of the most horrible experiences I have ever had....


I spoke with a woman who called me on a Friday, she sounded nice and was very pleasant. I scheduled an interview for the day after Interview #18. The position that I applied for was a graphic designer.The company is a company that makes it's own products, from stickers to chocolates. My mother had something else to do with my neighbor, so they went to another building while I went on my interview.
The building was huge and kind of looked like an abandoned school or warehouse.
When I got to the place, I found it a bit creepy. The inside was even creepier, I thought I'd run into Scooby and the gang in there!
The woman I spoke on the phone with greeted me and I filled out an application for like 20 minutes.

After I completed the application, the woman came to interview me and she brought an older man who apparently was a part of the graphics department.
Talking to the woman while on the interview was good, I spoke well and it was pleasant.
However, the man was incredibly mean and rude towards me.
I showed him my physical portfolio while I was being asked questions by the woman; and while I was being asked these questions, the man was violently thrashing my portfolio's pages... he didn't really seem to care if something fell out or was damaged. Then he asked me a question about one of the graphic design images I made, he questioned a book design I did on Othello... which everyone that I had shown prior loved. Although, he did point out what was wrong with it and I agreed with what he was telling me. But the way he acted was incredibly rude and nasty; I told him that I made the cover 2-3 years ago and that I have changed since then. So then, he starts flipping all of the other pages and goes "Change, change. I don't see change!"
I said that my more recent things are on my portfolio online, he responded saying I should print my newest things for when I go on  the next interview, he said "I think we're done here". The woman said they'd contact if they were interested and I knew I wasn't going to get contacted because obviously that guy did not like me and I sure didn't like him.
I met back up with my mother and my neighbor and I told them about the horrible experience, my neighbor loved it when I called the guy a douche-bag. XD
In which she began to tell a story about her mother worked with a very Christian woman who never cursed. Eventually her mother got the woman to curse and it was all the talk at her funeral about when she started cursing, because after that it was F bombs everywhere.

When I went to my job the next day, one of the ladies that I work with said I should have said something to that jerk. Like maybe "I have been on many interviews before, and this is the first time I have ever been treated with such rudeness and disrespect." Then she told me I should have flipped them off. XD


Lesson Learned:  Some people are nasty, job interviewers are no exception. Some jobs are not even worth it if people treat you rudely on an interview, they'll probably treat you just as bad on the job. This doesn't always include customer service positions, as that may be a part of the test, but only for Customer Service jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment